Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The OKcupid experiment!

So nerd love. It's hard to find, and once you find it, it's hard to keep. With all your priorities going to leveling your wow character, reading the new Harry Potter ( or nowdays waiting for the movies), your significant other can tend to fall by the wayside. Many nerds have resigned to the fact they are going to be alone in the nerdosphere. Then the other day, I heard a cow-worker talking about her success on okcupid.
Now, I may be a bit nerdy, but I often find myself behind the times on the new trendy internet sites. SO I had never heard of this Okcupid. I asked her what it was. She said it was a dating site built for the younger community. Free. The judgmental part of me wanted to scoff at the fact that 22 year olds should not have to use a dating site. We should be casually dating, not looking for a life mate. But the curious side of me was wondering just how many college aged students are looking online to find a connection. So I decided to do a little social experimenting. I got on, made a profile(with limited information), and started the questions.
What I am hoping to find is
1. Do these sites really work
2. Will they match me with people I truly would be compatible with
3. Are there really cool attractive youngsters, or is this site a breeding ground for creepers.

I gave myself a set of rules as well.
1. I will not meet anyone in person
2. I have to answer every match whether I think they are attractive or not ( to test for personality compatibility)
3. Delete profile after 10 matches are pursued online for 3 days.

Now, personally, I am not one to use dating websites. I like to get out and socialize. But this blog is in no way a judgement on anyone who does! So if you're on there please don't be offended! Stay tuned for results

5 comments:

  1. In my beca research class, my classmates did a research about online dating. I remember they said that in their survey result, there are more 30 years old and older that uses match.com for online dating. I agree that the youngster shouldn't use online dating sites because they are still in school and active with many people each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that you connected online dating to serious dating ("looking for a life mate"). My own preconceptions were completely opposite! A number of my friends use OKcupid to find casual flings specifically. Your experiment is a fun idea and I'll be curious to find out the results, especially concerning the serious/casual spectrum. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roommate & I talked just last week about the prospects of online dating. She's been with her boyfriend for over 2 years now and she's anxious for me to find someone too. She suggested I try online dating but I'm kind of skeptical of it. I have friends though who met their boyfriends through the internet and now, they are either married or have kids or even both. So I know it can work. I too am curious to find out your results from this experiment. Keep us updated on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting topic, I wonder how many young adults really are using the internet for dating?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your experiment sounds so interesting. I wonder what your results will be? But I agree that teenagers or young adults should just stick to casual dating. I don't know something about online dating that kind of scares me, but that's just me. I think people should just meet or get to know other people casually and let it start from there. It's better to actually see the person your meeting for the first time than meeting them through the Internet. I don't know, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete